Is Do-It-Yourself Mold Remediation a Good Idea?

Is Do-It-Yourself Mold Remediation a Good Idea?

You’ve recently had water damage or a leaky pipe that’s been slowly dripping over a period of time. Or perhaps you’ve smelled a musty or stale odor in your basement, which has caused you to go looking for the culprit. Upon further investigation, you discover some mold growing on your ceiling. You may, after watching some YouTube videos, and researching online decide to try and tackle the problem on your own. There’s no doubt that a good DIY project can bring you a great sense of accomplishment. But here are 3 reasons that you may want to leave mold remediation to a professional:

Professional methods and equipment are needed for accurate mold testing

Mold spores can spread throughout a home very easily. For example, spores released into the air in the basement can be carried by natural currents to other areas of the home such as the attic. It can be very difficult for an untrained individual to identify all the areas in the home where mold could be hiding. This requires a professional that has been trained and has the correct equipment.

Mold can spread quickly and easily

Because mold spores are airborne, they can travel to other areas of the home such as the kitchen, bathroom, or anywhere there is moisture, an organic food source and ideal temperature. Many homeowners are unaware that by trying to clean the affected areas, they can actually be contributing to the spread of mold spores throughout the home. Even common DIY remedies for mold cleanup, such as using bleach, can actually make the problem more severe. Mold that has been improperly cleaned can appear to be gone only to appear again later.

Exposure to mold can cause health problems

Exposure to mold can cause adverse health reactions. Symptoms of exposure can include asthma, wheezing, skin rashes, eye irritation and even fatigue. By leaving mold remediation to a professional, a homeowner can avoid coming into direct contact with mold spores and ensure that it is cleaned properly.

If you have noticed a damp, musty or stale odor in your home, recently had water damage or if you see patches of mold growing on any surfaces in your home, please contact a mold remediation and cleanup professional. ServiceMaster Restore by AAA is a professional mold remediation and cleanup company with offices located in Lehi, Cedar City, and St. George Utah. We can be reached toll free 24/7 at 855-788-2525 or visit our website at http://www.utahrestorationbyaaa.com.

Categories: Safety Tips, Mold

CALL FOR A FREE CONSULTATION

Get advice on all your restoration needs!

Why Choose Us?

  • 24 Hour Emergency Response
  • Prompt and Friendly Professional Service
  • 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee
  • 86 Years of Cumulative Experience
  • IICRC Trained Technicians